What. A. Year. 2018 was the most pleasant sneak attack as a birth photographer. We welcomed our 3rd born on February 28, so I knew that I’d slow down just a little bit after delivery. And I did…for about 4 weeks. The first two births I shot were in April and both fell at 5 weeks postpartum, it was quite the learning experience. The year went on, my baby girl got bigger, and the birth stories kept on rolling. It was an awesome year and I’m endlessly thankful to the 10 families that trusted me to come into their birth space and document their babies being born. It’s a tremendous honor that I don’t take lightly.
Since we’re rounding out 2018 and I love all of those “end of the year/best and worst/top 10 moments” lists that dominate media the last week of each year, I thought some fun birth facts would be a cool way to commemorate the year. So here we go!
1: There were 10 birth stories this year and those featured 6 boys and 4 girls.
2. Two of those babies were born via c-section.
3. The biggest baby weighed an even 10 pounds! Her rolls were amazing and holy moly was she cute!
4. I shot at 5 different local hospitals. Luckily no speeding tickets were earned while getting to each hospital in time.
5. The longest pushing for a birth was at 4 hours. The shortest pushing for a birth was 4 minutes. Both of those mothers have incredible stories to tell!
6. There were 19 weeks in the year that I was on-call. If you’re curious what being on-call is like, take a look at this blog I wrote.
Congratulations to each of these precious families. They hold such a special place in my heart and I’m so thrilled with how 2018 turned out. Of course, I could never ever pick a favorite birth story, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say my very own birth this year was the highlight! Here’s to a birth and baby filled 2019! See you then.
Piper, born June 4
Cas, born November 28
Avery, born July 26
Luke, born January 12
Ellington, born September 24 (my birthday twin)
Carter, born April 10
Kyleigh, born June 18
Cash, born September 1
Ava, born June 3
Sawyer, born April 5